Interviews with Indies - Serum No. 5



Welcome to another Installation of Interviews with Indies!
This week we are speaking with Victoria of Serum No. 5!






What is the name of your brand?

Serum No. 5


What is your name/names of everyone involved in your brand?

Victoria Dao 


What got you started in the polish making market?

Well, I've actually been frankening since I was little (though I didn't know it then).  Then last year I started studying for the California bar and I discovered Tumblr and nail art and started doing my nails daily.  It was either that or slowly kill myself with all that studying.  During this time I started making polishes for friends as gifts and I just really enjoyed the creative process and doing something that others could enjoy.  So... Serum No. 5. 

Do you have a background that was condusive to getting started in this field?
(example: were you a chemistry major, work in a lab, have an art degree, etc...)
Ohgoodmother no... haha I actually picked the one major that required absolutely no math and science.  It's kind of funny that I started a business where it's all about measurements and seeing different chemicals and ingredients work together.


What is your thought process when naming colors?

It varies.  Sometimes I have a name in mind and make the color fit the name.  Other times, I just pick a couple of colors that I like and figure out a name that way.


Where do you derive your inspiration for your creations?

I look everywhere, current color trends, astronomy/nature pictures, fashion blogs/magazines... pretty much anywhere.


Where do you create?

In my room, I've got a little corner set up :)


Do you make polish full time?
If only, I'm actually an attorney and make polishes on the side, but I'd love to make this a full-time venture.

What is your favorite polish that you did NOT make?

I have too many and it changes with the seasons, for right now I adore Essie's A Crewed Interest and Navigate Her and China Glaze Blonde Bombshell. Oh! and Chanel's Peridot and Graphite, love!


What is your favorite polish brand?

Essie and OPI for sure. 


What is your favorite polish from your own line?

It's gotta be either Day Glow (I mean it glows in the shade!) and Girl's Gotta Eat, I can do some pretty quick and cute accent nails and gradient nail art. 


What is the best part about making polish?

Glitter!


What is the worst?

The clean up. Definitely.

How many polish shades have you made to date?

I've made 10 that I've sold, too many to count that I've made and given as gifts, and way too many I want to make like right now.  I'm trying to make another 10 next season (fall/winter) and 6 more for holiday.


How many polishes do you have in your own personal stash?

Um... I think the last time I actually counted it was at 166, but this was just store bought ones and doesn't include my frankens, mixes, or polishes I used to franken.  I'm sure there's definitely more now, I'm just too afraid to count.


What is your one favorite ingredient?

Glitter.  I love all that sparking goodness.

Do you make non-polish products? If so, tell us about them!

I'm a big DIY'er.  In addition to polishes, I also make those beaded knot bracelets, but this is more for fun.  Maybe one day I'll branch out.


Tell us where your polishes are available to purchase?

Serum No. 5 polishes can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/SerumNo5


Do you have a website/facebook/blog? Give us any links you want.



What does the future hold for your brand?

More colors, glitter, and love <3


Do you have anything else you'd like my readers to know about you or your brand?
At the end of every month, I make a charitable donation worth 20% of all profits.  So far the charity I've chosen is the Make a Wish Foundation and in October it will be the Susan G. Komen for breast cancer awareness.


Day Glow


Day Glow at Night


Girls Gotta Eat


Girls Gotta Eat Swatch


Mint to Be


Mint to Be Swatch


Shrinking Violet


Shrinking Violet Swatch


Hope everyone enjoyed this look inside Serum No. 5!
Personally - this brand really wows me - I love her labels, but even more I love the fact that she makes charitable donations! Way to go Victoria!






P.S.
Don't forget to enter the Gnarly Gnails 500 Follower Giveaway!
Ends 9.01.2012 and is open Internationally!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow shrinking violets is so pretty! I love reading about all these brands too especially one's I haven't discovered yet though it does leave my wallet screaming hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, please feel free to leave one! I can't always respond due to time constraints or pure forgetfulness, but if you have a specific question about something, ask here or email me!