Rockabilly Luau Theme - Leopard Print

Welcome to the 3rd Mani in my Rockabilly Luau Theme Week!
I was contacted by Rockabilly Luau asking if I could come up with some Luau themed nails they could show the ladies attending the event as inspiration. I was so excited I decided to dedicate an entire week (or more) to it!


Most of the manicures you will see for this theme will include tutorials, I imagine a lot of people viewing these won't be familiar with some terms and techniques, so I am going to try and break it down as best as I can for everyone, and not just my regular readers.
To see all of the manicures in this theme - click here!

So let's get started on these leopard print nails!
Here is what you will be achieving:


This look is so simple and easy! You will need the following:
A gold polish, a medium brown polish and a black polish.
(For this I wanted some extra sparkle, so my black is actually a black with gold shimmer)
You will also need a dotting tool/bobby pin for best results.

Paint your nails with the gold until they are opaque.

Next, get your brown (you can use acrylic paint in lieu of polish if necessary) and your dotting tool. Drop some color on a piece of paper so it's easier to dip your tool into.

Make random dots of different sizes on all of your nails like so. These have a little bit of a dark outline because I started with a brown that was way too dark! Make sure you brown isn't so dark you can't tell it apart from your black!

After you have dotted all of the brown, go in with your black (paint or polish) and outline around the dots haphazardly, in C shapes, in parentheses shapes and make some extra little spots in there too where you might have some bald spaces of gold background showing through.

Lookin' good. Now you have this and you will need to clean up any bits of paint/polish around your cuticles. Take a concealer brush or paintbrush, dip it in acetone and wipe around the edges of your nail to remove the excess polish. This is my go to method for clean up, q-tips are good too but sometimes they leave cotton fibers behind.

You're all done! Wait until it is COMPLETELY dry and add your top coat. Add it on thick so it covers up the spots and lays flat, also laying it on thick will help to avoid any streaking of your art.




Products Used:
Sephora by OPI Never Enough Shoes
Sinful Colors Nirvana
Femme Couture Golden Honey

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

For more information on the Rockabilly Luau - please visit their website at rockabillyluau.com - the event is August 4, 2012 in Atlanta, GA.







P.S.
Don't forget to enter the Gnarly Gnails 400 Follower Giveaway!
Ends 7.31.2012 and is open Internationally!

And also the Gnarly Gnails 500 Follower Giveaway!
Ends 9.01.2012 and is open Internationally!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Those are so cool! You make them look so easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool mani! I should try to recreate it :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, I always love a good leopard print mani!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really loving the theme/design of your web site.
    Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?

    A small number of my blog readers have complained about my blog not
    working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?
    Here is my page : mad hatter outfit

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh i love it! i really need to try a freehand leopard mani!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad ya'll liked it - if you try it, lemme see!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, please feel free to leave one! I can't always respond due to time constraints or pure forgetfulness, but if you have a specific question about something, ask here or email me!