OPI Glitter Off - REVIEWED!

Glitter Off by OPI is a new, peel-able base coat that allows for the quick and easy removal of nail lacquer when applied beneath any glitter or dark nail color.  Glitter Off provides a base for quick one-step removal and protects natural nails, while simultaneously making nail colors brighter. Glitter Off is designed to leave nails polish-free and stain-free in seconds, revealing a clean nail surface without the use of lacquer remover. 







Ok - so first off - this base coat boasts two big claims - POLISH FREE and STAIN FREE in seconds. One is beyond accurate and as in my first test, one is completely inaccurate.
I tested this base coat the day it arrived. I put it on over bare nails. Allowed it to turn clear/matte, and then I applied a dark green polish I'd never used before (something by Spa Ritual, I don't know the name right now) and a bunch of different types of glitters. The next day when I removed the polish I had HORRIBLE yellow stains on my nails. In the 2+ years I've been blogging I have NEVER once had a problem with staining. So yeah...thats my take on the stain claim - FALSE. Let's move on down the post for the other claim.

Excuse the stains - when I was ready to do my official testing with photos, I still hadn't been able to get rid of it. This is the Glitter Off just after I've applied it. 

This is the Glitter Off at fully dry. It dries matte so you'll know when it's time. It dried pretty quickly, about 5ish minutes.

I applied two coats of Blush Hour to get a nice gritty amount of glitter. I also applied 2 coats of top coat. This is the day after I applied it (just under 24 hours).

To remove I used an orangewood stick and gently coaxed all of the edges up.

Here you can see how easily it lifts from your nail.

Nail 1 down - one tiny speck of glitter at the tip is all that remains, and the carcass of my polish is one complete unscarred piece of glitter shell.

All nails removed - total time to remove 4 nails of polish - about 1 minute.

Thoughts - Aside from the initial staining I encountered, none this time. Granted I used a glitter and no color polish on this one, at least I didn't have MORE problems in that area.
As for removal. A breeze. In fact, almost too much of a breeze. It comes off so easily if you do anything too manual with your hands I can see your polish coming off before you're ready for it to.
As with the Gwen Stefani polish Push and Shove - I would say this is perfect for One Night Wear. Anything more and you're going to be out in public with embarrassing bits of bare nails to deal with.
The glitter removes so easy you almost don't need the orangewood stick, but I would highly suggest using SOMETHING besides your own nails to remove the polish - they aren't tools!
Anyway - I think if you make sure to use a polish you know doesn't normally stain, you'll be fine. I tested with an untried polish and I paid the price!

EDITED TO ADD - A few comments via Facebook and comments made me remember one important thing I wanted to add...
Compared to the DIY Glue Method??
Glue is thicker, Glitter Off is a thinner, almost watered down version. It applies a million times easier, dries faster and peels easier.
I wasn't able to tell by smell if this was a glorified/perfected glue type of product (it had virtually no smell to me, compared to glue which has a faint smell).
Is it worth its price? I think for what it does, it does it VERY WELL (the peel off part) - it will be up to you whether you want to make your own or buy this one, but I think for ease of use and a totally better formula than straight out of the bottle glue, this is a win.

Glitter Off features OPI’s exclusive ProWide Brush for the ultimate in application. Glitter Off will be available March 2014, at Professional Salons, including Beauty Brands, Beauty First, Chatters, Dillard’s, jcp Salons, Pure Beauty, Regis, Trade Secret, ULTA and ulta.com for $9.00 ($10.95 CAN) suggested retail. 
For more information, please call 800-341-9999 or visit www.opi.com. Follow OPI on Twitter @OPI_PRODUCTS and become a Facebook fan!

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

You Might Also Like

0 comments