Interviews with Indies - A Rhyming Dictionary


This weeks Interview is with Morgan of A Rhyming Dictionary.
You can view some of her polishes that I have swatched by clicking HERE.


What is your name/names of everyone involved in your brand?
I'm the only one, and my name is Morgan Johnston.
What got you started in the polish making market?
I fell in love last December and I just got taken in with the idea of unique colors that were different than  the drugstore brands.

Do you have a background that was conducive to getting started in this field?
(example: were you a chemistry major, work in a lab, have an art degree, etc...) 
None whatsoever haha. I graduated in History- wrote my undergrad thesis on the effects of vodka on the Russian revolution 1895-1917. Turns out you can't get a job with a history degree so now I'm pursuing the prereq's to get into accelerated nursing.

What is your thought process when naming colors? 
See below.

Where do you derive your inspiration for your creations?
All of my polishes are fashioned after characters or places in the Oz series originally written by L. Frank. Baum in the early 1900's. 

Where do you create?
A combination of my bedroom desk and the the actual mixing happens in my back yard/porch area.

Do you make polish full time?
Well, I guess so but that's only because getting a job is INCREDIBLY difficult right now. As it stands, I'm currently failing to find a job at a tanning salon. Which is a little pathetic but you know, way of the world and whatnot.

What is your favorite polish that you did NOT make?
Currently, I'm OBSESSED with nfu oh flakie #51.

What is your favorite polish brand?
Probably Cult nails right now. I really like nails inc and models own too. All that said for drugstore brands I'm a big fan of ulta.

What is your favorite polish from your own line?
The Crooked Magician

What is the best part about making polish?
Knowing that I'm making things that will make people smile when they use them.

What is the worst?
Screwing up and wasting supplies.

How many polish shades have you made to date?
about 30?

How many polishes do you have in your own personal stash?
about 350 give or take...

What is your one favorite ingredient?
For polish- flakies for food- salt. for sure.

Do you make non-polish products? If so, tell us about them!
I produce eggs from my ovaries. They are not currently for sale. 

Tell us where your polishes are available to purchase?

Do you have a website/facebook/blog? Give us any links you want.

What does the future hold for your brand?
I have some new stuff coming out as soon as I finish testing to make sure it's stable.

Do you have anything else you'd like my readers to know about you or your brand?
I'm great haha. Other than that, no. Not much else is relevant.  




Morgan - you are hilarious. And pretty great! Check out some of the photos she sent with permission from The Nail Network (one of my favorite blogs you need to be following!) and Samarium's Swatches (also one of my favorites, seriously follow both of these ladies if you don't).



Polychrome


Dorothy


Kaliko


I had a great deal of pleasure working with Morgan this week on swatching her polishes, writing reviews and editing this interview together. Her polishes are very high quality with a terrific price - make sure and check her ETSY shop out!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love reading your comments, please feel free to leave one! I can't always respond due to time constraints or pure forgetfulness, but if you have a specific question about something, ask here or email me!