Foodie Fridays - Crispy Chicken Soft Tacos

Hey everyone!
Hope you brought your appetite today because it's another chapter in the Foodie Fridays notebook!


We love tacos around here, and being from California, I definitely prefer the flavors of lime and avocado, etc.
Before I moved back to SC, I really didn't mess with onions and tomatoes because I cooked for myself and one other person and neither of us liked them so why bother.  But now I have to be a bit more adventurous with my food line in the sand.
Besides, thoroughly sauteed just about anything is delicious (except mushrooms!)

So let's get into what you will need.
Chicken breasts
Onion
Cilantro
Lime Juice
Tomatoes and Chiles (I buy them canned together)
Salt
Pepper
Oil
Tortillas
Refried Beans
Cheese
(Extras - sour cream, avocado, lettuce, taco sauce, etc)

Preheat your oven to 350.

I toss a skillet on medium heat and put some oil in, whatever kinda coats the pan plus a little extra, as that heats I chop up onions into small bits.  By the time that's done they're ready to go in the pan and then I sprinkle a little cilantro on top and let them saute around low-medium for about 5 minutes.

This is the tomato/chile combo I use, it has everything I need, even though I add a little more of this stuff anyway! So take the tomatoes/chiles and some lime juice (I add some extra besides what is in this can) and toss them in with the onions, add your chicken breasts and cover.

Now, you can always add the chicken already cooked and shredded but personally i like to cook them from start to finish in the onions and tomatoes to get the maximum flavor. Up to you.

I let the chicken cook covered for 10 minutes, then turn it and do another 10.

Once each side has cooked, I shred the chicken in the skillet with 2 forks, its still uncooked in the center but by the time you're done with this step, its pretty much ready to go and just simmers while you finish the other stuff.

So. I don't like refried beans much, my boyfriend doesn't like black beans, So we compromise with these. And they are not nearly as bland as the regular kind.

I take a hearty spoonful and smear it on small flour tortillas

Now depending on how many you need to make this part will vary.  Since I was only making 6 for the two of us, I used my mini loaf pans but if you're making more you can use a baking dish or just about anything with walls high enough to hold the tacos upright. Pack them in there.

At this stage, take your chicken off the stove and drain it.  Spoon in however much to your shells.  Make sure you save room for anything else you will want to add later.

Add your shredded cheese. I shred a mix of cheddar and pepper jack but use whatever you like.
Then plop these in your oven for 10 minutes and all they need is whatever garnish you desire!

I just add sour cream, a dash of cilantro and avocado. 
The little crispy edges of the tortilla with the softness of the rest of the shell is a texture I just love!
These are so flavorful you don't even need sauce! 
But a little salsa verde is heavenly! Just sayin ;)

Bon Apetit!


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Also, when your mind is alert, it is easier for it to take mental pictures.satta king

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, please feel free to leave one! I can't always respond due to time constraints or pure forgetfulness, but if you have a specific question about something, ask here or email me!