The sun will always cheer you up, right?

I'm going to start off this post by saying that wow...being holed up in your head for months and not doing things you were used to doing every day, sometimes multiple times a day, is not good.
I hadn't painted my nails since October. This mani I'm showing you today is the first mani I have done in over 3 months. It's not great or perfect, but it's something I thought I would feel comfortable with doing, aside from just doing a swatch of something.

A few months ago during the 30 Day Challenge, I did a polka dot mani that I really liked alot, so today I am showing you something I did using similar colors, since the colors were my favorite part of it.

I now bring you - Sunbursts!

Well...this didn't photograph exactly  color correctly, but its close, the shades are a tad darker in real life.

I achieved this look by first starting with my base color (the yellow, or your lightest color), after it was dry I added hole reinforcement stickers (yes, the kind in the office supply section that you put on notebook paper) - the trick to those is to really get them stuck down, they tend to lift on the corners, and I cut them in half to even help with that not happening. Such is life. After that, I take striping tape and run lines up from the hole stickers to the edges of the nail, then paint with the blue, or your darker color. Use a polish on top that can go opaque in one coat.

They aren't perfect, which used to bug me. Now I just roll with it. Because the striping tape sat over the hole stickers and I didn't close that tiny gap up, the blue got under it a little in places and didn't give me the greatest lines, but in real life where you don't look through a macro lens, hardly noticeable!

And here are the polishes I used - Sinful Colors Rain Storm and Bourjois  Jaune Trendy.



You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I'm so glad you're back Missy, I know how hard it can be to get back into things after coming out of a depression or just a rough patch. Sometimes I get down on myself and think that doing my nails is a silly hobby but eventually kick myself back into normal gear and get back into it. Lately I've been doing actual manicures rather than swatching, its such a difficult balance to find between enjoyable and stressful when you have to worry about a posting schedule or replying to a billion comments (I'm terrible at this).

    With all that said, I can't pull off any shade of yellow but this mani suits you and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! I totally understand what you mean about being holed up in your head...it's awful. And it is time to bring on the beautiful sunshine! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour combination! yeah, life will never be perfect so let's not sweat over the small stuff. Welcome back! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed som sunshine so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so good to have you back.
    I suffer from seasonal depression and one of my ways of fighting it is painting my nails yellow when everything outside is grey, and just seeing your mani lifted my spirits up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the other girls: It's really great to see you back.
    And sunshine is perfect - it ALWAYS make me happy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could do with some of this sunshine right now! This is so bright and lovely :) I hope you enjoyed painting your nails again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous mani! And I always have that problem with the reinforcement stickers, too. It's a pain. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are back! Love this happy mani.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, please feel free to leave one! I can't always respond due to time constraints or pure forgetfulness, but if you have a specific question about something, ask here or email me!